Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saying Goodbye

This will serve as the last entry for our time in GTMO.  The weeks leading up to our departure were FULL! After presenting a student recital, directing a youth choir performance, and packing up our house shortly before Thanksgiving, I didn't have much time to shed tears over leaving GTMO. But then November 27th arrived and there we were waiting for the ferry at Ferry Landing and the tears came out.  After several trips to this same spot to say goodbye to other friends who had gone before me, it was finally my turn.  Some people avoid this moment and stay on Leeward side the night before.  I understand why some would do this, but it's not really fair to your friends who want that last opportunity to say 'goodbye.'  My advice is to suck it up and allow yourself that cathartic moment to feel the love from all of your friends.

We were blessed to have an opportunity to live in GTMO as long as we did.  I enjoyed it very much, and recommend the island life to everyone.  It's a great family base and an opportunity to get to know your strengths and weaknesses on a deeper level.

Now I we begin a new adventure on a different island...JAPAN! Our adventure in Sasebo, Japan began Saturday 12:00a on Dec. 8th.  That was the moment we arrived in our Navy Lodge room completely exhausted! Now I'm off to design a new blog. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment